one world

purpose: to connect, create value, stretch, and witness the mundane magical

December 1, 2015

december update

hiking this fall, overlooking the Pacific Ocean covered by fog 
Hello. It’s been a long time since I’ve written here. I thought I’d keep you – generally friend and family readers who invest a few moments reading – up on a few things that are alive for me.
First, the relationship with the man who was my partner for 4+ years ended this summer. It was initially a heartbreaking and nightmarish many weeks. With time and lots of intentional work I’ve returned to functional normalcy. Grief intermittently surprises me. I am honored to have loved him and been loved by him so entirely for this period of time. While I had hoped that it would have been a lifetime, I am accepting that relationships can change. I have no regrets about dating him and learned so much about life, love, elegance, cooking, patience with technology, data, scientific-mind, not being intimidated by accomplishment, self-concept, surrender, gentleness, vulnerability, and kindness. I hope that all that interact with him will do so with fondness. After some time I hope for a resumption, even if in different locales, of an esteemed easy friendship.

Graduate school in counseling is coming to an end after over two years. It has been beautiful learning too. The last year I interned at an outpatient community mental health clinic. Most of my clients have experienced homelessness in the near last few years. The issues range from bread-and-butter anxiety and depression to post traumatic stress, bipolar, schizoaffective, anger, statistically unusual physical symptoms related to psychological stressors, panic attacks, social phobias, chronic presentations. As these 15 months end I will surely miss these relationships which in many cases have come to mean a lot to me. We have both helped each other. I am happy that increased healthcare coverage has meant that tens of thousands of people just in my state can now see a mental health counselor for issues that have plagued them for years. Another human being as an advocate goes a long way to healing, prevention, and long-term cost efficiency.

Many other things are going on, most of which I share in other places and circles. I continue my work as an RN. I Love Seattle. The world is still out there and beckoning, but this surely is a good home base for me. I look forward to having more time to travel when I’m done in the spring. Best to you all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment