one world

purpose: to connect, create value, stretch, and witness the mundane magical

August 13, 2012

ecstatic dance


I walked down to a huge basement business space dimly lit by white christmas lights and expansive wall mirrors. The music tribal international. Mary greeted me at the table and gave me a few guidelines, like no talking on the dance floor, and feel free to pick up an instrument and sit down at the sacred altar space.

At first I felt weird. People danced in their own non-conventional ways. And I got nervous about being seen dancing freely. I stalled for a bit and observed the altar space, circled the floor barefoot, and played a percussion instrument. In a few minutes though I surrendered to the music rhythms - let go - and melted onto the dance floor. My mind raced and judged, plotted, planned. I breathed. And walked past my busy mind... and found myself dancing... judging less and enjoying more. Responding to the different beats, at times I was in spinning Arabia, or drumming Africa, or the festive Caribbean, or hippie funky America.

I found myself smiling more, and exchanged smiles with a few others. Soon I began to lose myself - and come home. Something ancient. Connected to my body. To the ancestors and human collective. Somewhere magical and free. Connected. Alive. Still. Wild.

We sat in a circle at the end, and shared with the opening, "today at dance...". I was amazed at the beauty of so many. Inside and out.

I'll be back. I've found home again. 

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had the guts to do half the things I read about you doing and FYI you are looking great these days ;)

    J. R.

    ReplyDelete